Topic ClosedContinental Collodion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Subscriber
Subscriber

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continental Collodion
    Posted: 17 December 2006 at 17:18

Hi from the UK, I'm just sourcing a few of the necessary ingredients for wetplate before splurging $90 on Mr Coffer's manual (selfish at this time of year, I know).

I've googled for Plain collodion in the UK, but the search only brings up stage and flexible collodion (with added caster oil). Where can I get hold of the stuff? ...+ Can anyone suggest a European alternative to Everclear?

Neil Miller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 03:05
Hi - you can try Sigma Aldrich (they have a UK website - a Google search will turn it up) for both alcohol and collodion.  None of the UK chem supply places will sell you 190-proof alcohol unless you have a Customs & Excise permit, though - you have to send them a copy of your permit first.  The alcohol is pretty expensive, too.

Regards,
Neil.
Cynan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 06:51

09986 - Collodion: 4-8% Nitrocellulose soln + Ethanol/Diethyl ether

Hmm, I think I'll email them. Thanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 07:52
I've just checked my collodion bottles, and that is the serial number of the one that came from Sigma Aldrich.  It works fine.

Regards,
Neil.
Cynan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 05:17

Hello again,

Sigma Aldrich and Fisher Scientific won't sell chemicals to private individuals or businesses that can't provide adequate proof of safety measures/methods of ether storage etc.

I've worked as a techie in a UCAS accredited lab for 4 years, and have a licence to use Meths!

Managed to acquire all the liquids from an x colleague, but can't get hold of Cadmium salts for love nor money. Even our Silverprint wont sell me the stuff.

Anyone know of a retailer/distributor that will sell raw chemicals to private individuals or non-science businesses in the UK?

What a load of non-science.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 05:44
Hi Richard,

When I got my licence from HMCE the form I filled in had to have storage method/safety data/storage location on it. 

I had to tell them what I was doing and all the chemicals involved, they then sent me the correct forms to fill-in.  Perhaps you should re-apply.

When the licence came through I sent it to SA and they said no problem, but I do have my own company, so I wasn't applying as a private individual.

It was hard getting the cadmium salts - I did a web search for companies selling raw chemicals in the UK and emailed what seemed like scores of companies, of which only two replied.  It was a long, drawn-out affair, and most of the companies didn't even have the courtesy to reply.  The one that sold me the salts was a small family-run business who were selling-up, so I can't help you with that source.

I did have the chance of an enormous amount of cad salts from RayCo when they sold-up - they told me they wouldn't countenance handling the stuff as the prop. had already got some health problems, and I would have to bring my own van along.  they would have taken a decent price for cwts of the stuff, but wouldn't split it into smaller quantities, so I passed on it.

The cadmium MSDS has a lot of dire warnings on it, mentioning it's possible carcinogenic propensities, which is probably why it's hard to get hold of.  But then again, what hasn't got warnings on it these days:  I bought a packet of peanuts the other day that had "Warning - may contain nuts" or something similar on it!

Good luck Googling!

Regards,
Neil.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 05:55
Richard - I just looked for Cad Br on the SA site, and it says that availability and pricing info is not available.  It isn't even listed on the Silverprint site, and a search on the Fisher site turns up nothing so maybe it is in short supply.

I do remember that it was hideously expensive (from SA) when I first enquired about it, which is why I tried elsewhere.

It might be a better idea to get it from the US: ArtCraft, Bostick & Sullivan or Photographers Formulary might have it.

Regards,
Neil.
Cynan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 08:43

Thanks Neil,

Artcraft will post CdBr2 - Nice to know.

Rose Chemicals  -  http://www.rose-chemicals.co.uk/

sell Cadmium Bromide (tetrahydrate) 

the extra water shouldn't make much difference, right?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 09:04
You are sorted then, Richard- good news!

I use the tetrahydrate without any probs - with cad iodide - for double-cad collodions.  No sediment, mixes instantly, very very short ripening time and last for ages (well over a year now - possibly going on for two years, in my case).

The only thing I have noticed with the double cad formula is that it is thicker than you would expect, probably because of the cadmium, and it needs a lot of thinning with ether/alcohol to get a good pouring consistency free of crepey lines and ridges.

It might not be so in your case - I think it depends on the original formulation of the collodion (pyroxylin/gun-cotton content).  When they made collodion from scratch in the old days (with gun-cotton/nitric acid/hydrochloric acid/ether/alcohol) some old writers mentioned that the consistency can be controlled by which salts you add to it, e.g. cad salts for a thin collodion. 

I tried making gun cotton once, btw - not for the faint-hearted and really not to be recommended!

The cad/amm formula seems less thick - I think that the amm salts thin collodion somewhat.  I think that amm salts may have less of a storage life when added to collodion, too, but I may be wrong

Regards,
Neil.
christina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2007 at 13:31
Hi, maybe I just took the easy way out, like you, Richard, I'm in Wales, and, like you I found it problematic sourcing the cad brom. I chose to use other salts, in fact I successfully use pot iodide/pot bromide, and although I've been told this makes for a short shelf life collodion, I find I can use it over 6 months or more! In between use I store the collodion in a laboratory fridge. Yes, it throws down sediment when first mixed, but then it appears to be pretty good, gradually changing to ruby red, even then it seems useable (of course with adjusted exposures). The one thing I've noticed really makes a difference in my practice is the dilution of developer. That's one of the fascinating things about this process, everyone finds their own individual way of working, and what might work perfectly for one person can be nothing but trouble for another! Good luck! Christina  
christina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 01:06
btw last year fluorochem quoted me cadmium bromide 10gms @ £38, £50gms @ £82 + £9 carriage if that's any help? best wishes Christina  
Cynan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 03:51

Hello Christina et aliae, thanks for all the pointers - Will mix my collodion this weekend. 

CdBr2 @ £38 for 10g ! £82 for 50g !!

Found a source of CdBr2*4H2O for... £6 for 25g - Rose Chemicals (UK)

I feel confident enough to use it now that I've read a little. Follow all precautions and maybe include more Zinc and vitamin C in my diet :)

Post Reply Post Reply