Collodion Photography Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Workshops & Events > World Wet Plate Day - The Archer Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSan Francisco Bay Area get together

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Life_in_sepia View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: San Francisco Bay Area get together
    Posted: 12 February 2010 at 23:15
You are very kind to volunteer to host!  Thank you.  My thoughts:

I like the idea of shooting in the park with the pagans, but given what I expect to be the difficult parking issues and expectant lugging of gear back-n-forth (and I can't do that very far) I'm not sure it is practical.  Don't under estimate the P-I-T-A factor of lugging gear around and set-up/take-down.  Honestly, if I'm gonna set-up, I'd like to do it very very close to my vehicle.  But maybe I'm just a big baby!  Another option may be a more quiet location, like Tildon Park, close to a spacious parking lot where set-up/take-down is easier and the environment is a little easier for talking and shooting.   Having said that, if we can get close parking to the pagan park it could be really cool. 
ed ross

www.edrossphotography.com
http://edsplates.blogspot.com/
eoghan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2010 at 15:23
So I have been thinking about how to make this get together a success and hopefully something that we might do again. While I am personally excited and honored to host this event, its important to me that this is a community effort and everyone who might come has their say in what we should do, so feel free to chime in and offer your own ideas or disagree with mine. 

A majority of the people (but not me) who showed interest clearly are advanced in WPC photography who I would put in the class of master photographers.  I propose we should make sure that this event caters to this caliber of photographer and try to come up with activities that will keep their interest. We can do this while accommodating people who have not yet poured their first plate or who like me is still in the early stage of learning the craft.  My concern is that beginners like me might monopolize the event with all our basic questions to the point where the advanced users lose interest and this would be a opportunity lost for all of us. 

So here is what I came up with, the event should include time slots for the following:
  • To make fantastic images
  • For advanced users to share what they are doing, show some examples of their work, techniques, equipment etc 
  • A separate time for beginners, including people who have yet to pour their first plate to make images and ask questions
  • a social time for people to mingle and get to know each other 

So the schedule might look something like this
9 to 1 Meat up at the Civic Center Park in Downtown Berkeley (near BART)
  • Meet up to shoot portraits at a park in Berkeley where the annual Pagan festival and weekly farmers market is taking place. Lots of opportunities to take portraits of very interesting people. The farmers market is fantastic but the Pagan festival is a real treat and one of those "Only in Berkeley" things. We could set up in one common area and maybe one person could do security so while your head is in a dark-box someone is looking after your camera.
  • During this time an adjoining beginner section could be set up with a camera, chemicals, and a portable dark room. Maybe advanced users could take turns here or people running workshops could use it to teach a little and market their workshops.

1 to 4 Head up the hill to my house
  • A chance for everyone to introduce themselves and show some plates
  • It might be nice if some of the advanced photographers give a talk on WPC topics of their choice 
  • Possibly a presentation on some other "alternative process" such as Cyanotypes, Photogravure
  • A presentation on hybrid WPC or some extension of the process such as making tintypes with an enlarger, digital negatives etc
  • Open forum to ask all and any questions

End the day with a meal and refreshments

So what do you think?

eoghan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 21:55
OK so Berkeley it is on May the 8th at my house.  We can shoot either nearby in Tildon park or/and at my house. I will arrange something for food and refreshments in the evening, either a sit down meal or a barbecue depending on how many people are coming.

What should we arrange for photo subjects?

It would be good if people could bring along a dark box or two, I have a darkroom but it's only big enough for one person and 8X10 plates but I am sure we could play nicely with each other and share it. 

For anyone who is just starting off and does not have anything I can supply a camera, chemicals and a few plates, so if you are just lurking and thinking about trying this out, this might be a good opportunity.

Eoghan

TinfoilPhono View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 21:44
Berkeley's fine for me as well. What dates are we considering?
René Rondeau
Online wet plate gallery
davidjohnlotto View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 20:00
Berkeley works for me!
davidjohn
platinum/palladium/collodion
www.davidjohnlotto.com
Life_in_sepia View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 19:28
Great idea.  I'm in.  Berkeley is fine with me.   BYOE.  
ed ross

www.edrossphotography.com
http://edsplates.blogspot.com/
eoghan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 17:18
Well it seams like we have enough interest for a get together but I was wondering if we could switch the date to the following weekend?

I would be happy to host the event at my house and supply good food, beer and wine but I am not sure that it would be the best location. I live near Tildon Park in the Berkeley hills and that might work, but maybe someone else has a better suggestion. 

Eoghan

TinfoilPhono View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 02:24
I'm also in the Bay Area so please keep me posted.
René Rondeau
Online wet plate gallery
eoghan View Drop Down
Subscriber
Subscriber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 00:30
So far we have four people (Kerik Kouklis , David John, Paul Kinney & Eoghan O'Neill) interested in getting together but not much planed. 

Where should we meet?

Post Reply Post Reply