Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adminstrator
Adminstrator
Forum Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Group Workshop in Reus, Catalonia
    Posted: 17 September 2007 at 23:56

There's a group of photographers (Joaquin and Josep as well as others) in Reus and Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain) that have invited me down to do a three day workshop. The date(s) is/are November 5th, 6th and 7th in Reus. I will post later exactly where (it looks like a very nice place).

This is very exciting because we are going to do some experimenting as well as the workshop. They work with both pinhole cameras and slit cameras - I'm interested to see what "slit Collodion" might look like!   

The city council of Reus (home of Gaudi) has funded this and has provided the group with space, chemistry and support (which I think is great). I'll be driving down and packing all of my gear and goodies. I plan to cover the entire process - from the chemistry to making negatives. Three days will afford a lot of in-depth and experimental fun. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Joaquin has told me that there are six photographers - I'm not sure about the specifics of inviting people, maybe Joaquin can post some details about that.

Anyway, if you are in the area, or close to the area, come and see what we produce. If you have questions or need more info, email or PM me. I'll update/modify this post as we get closer to the date.

The building is dedicated to photography and cinema and inside there are 3 darkrooms and studios.

Parc del Mas Iglesias
Carrer de Jaume Vidal i Alcover 6
43204 Reus
Tel. 977 302 071

Joaquin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2007 at 08:48

Hello,

I will use this topic to say hello to all the members and to give you my congratulations for all the wonderfull collodion work I'm seeing, I will learn a lot in the future from this forum. I (and the other participants) haven't make collodion yet but I can smell the chemicals, in fact we have the chemicals bought, but as Quinn advice is better to wait until he arrives ... we need to be patient!

We are very excited with the workshop, in the beginig it will be a friends jamboree and probably a frustating experience but with Quinn assistance I'm sure the event will be wonderful. Thanks again Quinn.

As Quinn said we will also experiment with pinhole and double slit, another "do it yourself" in photography, that I think will fits well with the collodion process.

Best regards,
Joaquin

quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 02:27
Thanks for chiming in Joaquin (and welcome to the board!).

Will there be room or space for observers/participants, or is this a "closed event"?

I know that there are people on this forum that are near (or within a few hours) of Barcelona and maybe be wondering about attending this.
Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
Joaquin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 05:03

Hi Quinn,

Yes, it is a closed event, but if someone in this forum is near Reus and want to come can contact me and we'll see (I'm not in charge of the event)

Best regards,
Joaquin

Joaquin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 00:54

I don't know if this is the appropiate place to post an ambrotype but was my 2nd plate in this workshop with Quinn Jacobson, anyhow I'll post a link in the Pinplate Camera board. It is a 4,25" x 6,25" plate on clear glass, 50mm focal length and fstop 160. The exposure was 35 seconds at full sun, we had a nice weather the 3 days, warm and sunny, and we really enjoy the experience.

Quinn is a great artist (we had the opportunity to see 2 amazing  triptych from his series "Portraits from Madison Avenue") and an inspiring teacher.

Thanks Quinn for this unforgettable workshop, I'm pleased to meet you.

quinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 02:30

Joaquin,

Muy Guapo! You all did an outstanding job - I am VERY impressed with all of the people that attended the workshops in Catalonia - Reus and Barcelona.

For those that have never been to this part of the world, I can say, without question, these are some of the most talented and kind people you will ever meet. The culture is wonderful and the cities are gorgeous. I'm surprised you don't hear more about northern Spain/Catalonia.

When I get home, I will post more work and thoughts about the images that were made and how this all went down - it was incredible - the best time I've had so far!

Muchas gracias Joaquin - mucho gusto!

Regards,
Quinn Jacobson
Fisher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 11:31

Outstanding job!

I would love to see more "Pintypes".

Joaquin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 04:33

Thanks Bradley,

Most of the plates are in the house, they want to make a little show of the work done in the event, but I'll try to post more images.

Post Reply Post Reply